Time to look ahead to autumn – but before you start shopping the new season, here’s the cheatsheet to the key trends to incorporate into your wardrobe now:
1. Rework your summer striped shirt
- take an offbeat approach to evening dress-up – Dries Van Noten’s gold two-piece suit paired with a scholarly striped oxford shirt is fabulously unexpected.
2. Try a poloneck under a dress
- extend the life of a romantic summer dress by layering a cashmere poloneck underneath for the long winter ahead.
3. How to wear your bag now
- three’s a trend: when a shoulder bag is worn tightly across the body and tucked snug above the elbow on the Proenza Schouler, Valentino and Prada catwalks – well, this is your new season styling trick sorted.
4. Do bare legs for autumn
- invest in a heritage-tweed two-piece skirt suit – and kick out your bronzed summer holiday pins until the cold nights draw in.
5. Herald the return of chinos
- Lemaire was awash with Nineties preppy minimalism. The key piece? Stone-coloured chinos. Wear with block heels and belt high on the waist – less dad, more distinguished.
6. Give ski pants a go
- switch out your track pants for the new sporting contender: Eighties ski trousers, as seen at Balenciaga, Marni and Versace. Keep the stirrups in place with patent, pointed-toe court shoes.
7. Belt up
- take your cue from Prada: cinch a lace-up corset-belt-plus-leather-belt combo over all your summer dresses for instant autumn style points.